Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Voting Woes!!

I know, what could possibly inspire me to overcome my lazy attitude toward blogging and post at 3 AM. Well.....
It just so happens that this afternoon I found myself doing my civic duty and filling out my ballot. I actually look forward to this duty and right of mine, generally speaking. However, today I found myself getting more and more frustrated (and not just because I had the news blaring in the background with every last minute campaign commercial they can cram into the 11th hour.)
First, I started with the initiatives- on one I had a definite opinion- the rest I had to wonder- what are our elected officials doing down in Olympia? Can't they debate amongst themselves make a few of these decisions? As much as I try to research the issue I'm not going to be able to adequately evaluate and balance every pro and con in the few hours I spend on my ballot. They have been elected to do just that. Heath once said that he thought our elected officials were getting lazy, passing every decision on to the, at best, semi-informed public so they wouldn't have to face scrutiny. I'm starting to see his point.
On to the King County charter amendments. More of the same.....
Next, President-
Not really all that hard. Seriously, after all these months is there really anyone who still doesn't know who they are voting for? Whatever you believe it's not like these guys are all that similar. Who are these "undecideds"? Do they really exist or are they just something the media made up to keep us tuning in to their months and months of the same old rhetoric?


Next up, Washington State Governor. I just have to say- EMBARRASSING!! I have always been proud of my state but I am utterly embarrassed at how trashy the race has been. If I saw Rossi's face in a commercial, is was usually an anti-Rossi commercial by Gregoire. Anytime I saw Gregoire I could bet it was Rossi's anti-Gregoire commercial. Mudslinging and trash talk (I am grateful to have learned that Rossi is actually in favor of battering women or something to that effect- he denies it now but Thank-You Chris for enlightening me- don't worry, Rossi has done the same for you too!) Anyone ever see Chris Farley's Black Sheep? Eerily reminiscent of our current race- except far more civil...
Okay, more state and local offices, and then.......


The Judges!!!! I can see exactly why our founding fathers set it up to have the Supreme Court appointed by the Executive. Seriously, I feel like when I vote I need to make a good faith effort to know what I am voting. Has anyone else had difficulty finding out anything about the judges running for office? How exactly am I supposed to choose? Nicest sounding name? Best Hair? At least when the President chooses a nominee for the Supreme Court he has a panel of experts to help find out everything they can about the person. I refuse to vote for someone I know nothing about so I decided I had a better option.....REBEKAH HUNTER for Washington State judge!!!


7 comments:

Madeline said...

Surely the media is focusing on undecided voter stories to draw things out, but it's not all in the media. These people do exist (I don't understand how, but they do).

I have come to the conclusion that voters who are undecided at this stage in the game are just attention whores. That's the only explanation that makes any sense to me. :)

purplebleeder said...

I must concur...with you and Madeline...and ESPECIAlly on your judge decisions!!!!!

HJ Pritchard said...

ummmm, why didn't you vote for me or Madeline for Supreme Court Justice?!?! Rude!

purplebleeder said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
purplebleeder said...

She voted for Rebekah because Rebekah is more just!!!!!!!!

HJ Pritchard said...

It's not right for the President to have a place in the Judiciary! Jaime, you should recall your vote!...Pretend you are in Florida and say that that the ballot was too confusing. :)

mb said...

i heart pogs too!